Re: WEB-FOOTED THEROPODS...

In a message dated 95-08-14 11:31:47 EDT, dwn194@soton.ac.uk (D.W.Naish)
writes:

>On spine-folding in _Spinosaurus_, Will Stout has done an (extremely ugly,
as
>always) picture of a spinosaur with its spines folding cranially, with a
>hinge
>at the base of the neural spine. The text accompanying the picture (in book
>'William Stout's Dinosaurs') describes how, early in the morning, the
>spinosaur
>'unfolds' its spines to catch the rays. Ha ha ha ah aha ha ha hhhahha ha!
>Yeah,
>right you are Will.

Back when I was a member of the old Los Angeles dinosaur group along with
Bill, we all bandied about the idea of movable spines on _Spinosaurus_, but
it wasn't until I reexamined Stromer's paper on the beast--in researching the
tall neural spines of the theropod _Becklespinax_--that I realized the
cranial dorsal vertebrae of _Spinosaurus_ were quite mobile. HINGES for the
neural spines are a Stoutian fantasy, however. The spines and neural arches
were quite rigidly fixed to the centra (although the arches were incompletely
fused to the centra, so the type specimen, big as it was, may have been a
subadult animal).

G.O.