Re: Spinosaurus teeth

YIPPEE! Someone is actually talking about that pinacle of evolution, the
crocodile, and misspellng it to-boot!

>The type was found in the Baharije Formation of Egypt, but there are many
>equivalen-aged units throughout North Africa.  In these, large conical teeth
>are fairly common.  While these could be Spinosaurus teeth, I wouldn't be
>suprised if the teeth of the giant crocodillian Saurosuchus imperator (from
>the same age and localities) were very similar.

Crocodilian, crocodylian, crocodillian, what's in a name? But it is not
Saurosuchus imperator, but Sarcosuchus imperator, a gigantic pholidosaur
which was a large croc time clocking in at somewhere around the 11 metre
mark. And its teeth would be difficult to confused with those of
Spinosaurus because they lack serrations and have well developed,
length-wise fluting similar to goniopholids (to which they are closely
related). Sarcosuchus is also reported from South America.

There are other crocs from the Baharije Formation of Egypt but both
Stomatosuchus and Libycosuchus are unlikely to produce teeth that could be
confused with Spinosaurus. Stomatosuchus, with its 2 metre long, 1 metre
wide and 30 cm deep head, was toothless. The only specimen of Stomatosuchus
was distroyed by allied bombing along with the early Spinosaurus material
and other fine specimens collected by Stromer. Libycosuchus is a small
(around 1 metre long) croc with highly differenciated teeth but much
smaller than those of Spinosaurus.

Ahhh, bliss.

Cheers, Paul

pwillis@ozemail.com.au