Re: Albertosaurus

In a message dated 95-08-11 16:02:04 EDT, swf@ElSegundoCA.ATTGIS.COM (Stan
Friesen) writes:

>Thus the only real question is does publication in Kyorugaku
>Saizensen count as valid publication?

Yes, this is a valid publication. The ICZN says nothing about refereed
journals, etc. The difference between publication in a refereed journal
versus an ordinary periodical is simply that professional paleontologists
accept a refereed nomenclatural act at once, but tend to sit on the fence
with respect to nomenclatural acts published elsewhere. This is "journal
mystique." Plenty of invalid, synonymous, or doubtful zoological names have
been published in refereed journals over the years, fewer names of any kind,
valid or invalid, published elsewhere these days. Too bad. I've never
proposed a taxon whose existence I couldn't defend.

G.O.