re:Spinosaurus

     Greg,
     remember that dinosaurs shed their teeth like sharks, so teeth are
     the most numerous remains left to us of any species (usually).  I have
     also seen MANY supposed Spinosaurus teeth at West Coast rocks and
     minerals shows: I counted 20 different teeth at 4 different dealers at
     one show alone, all labelled as Spinosaurus, all having the same look
     and color, all from Morrocco.  I have also seen someone on the
     rocks-and-fossils list advertising trips into Morooco to collect same.
     Maybe there really are a lot of Spinosaurus teeth out there.

     -Betty

     (Flyinggoat@aol.com till the end of the month)
     (bcunnin@nssi.com at work)
     (bettyc@flyinggoat.com starting the end of the month)
     -------------------------------------------original post Greg said:
     As I mentioned earlier, I found a Spinosaurus tooth at a rock shop in
     Denver.  When I got home I started combing through all my books to
     find out more about it.  Apparently it comes from Egypt and Marocco (
     at least that general area ).  Spinosaurs lived some 75 to 95 mya
     (hope I used
     that mya correctly) and were identified from a partial jaw bone.
     Additionaly, vertibrae were found that are larger than than of T-Rex,
     thus several of
     my books classify the Spinosaur as the largest meat eating theropod.

     It seems only fragments of this giant have been found.  I'm wondering
     what the likelyhood of me having an actual tooth are?  It was very
     inexpensive.  Secondly, many of my books, once again, piont to body
     temprature regulation when talking about the sail on his back.  Is
     this theory synonymous with cold bloodedness, or could a sailback
     coexist in Bakkers
     warm blooded model.

     Greg Claytor
     greg1@svpal.org