Re: Dinosaurs in Hawai'i

>Prof. Holtz's article in the Journal of Paleontology, Sept. 1994,
>distinguishes the oviraptorid-arctometatarsalian clade, the
>pachycepalosaurian-ceratopsian clade, the Ankylosauridae, and
>the Labeosaurinae from "their more cosmopolitan sister taxa"
>(p. 1111).  What's the opposite of "cosmopolitan"?  Despite T. rex's
>well-known gentle disposition (cf. Barney) and vegetarian habits, I'd
>be sure I was out of earshot before calling him a country bumpkin.

You could use either "provincial" (in general) or "endemic" (when refering
to a particular region).

Note that, since the discovery of an unquestionably valid ornithomimosaur
outside of Asiamerica (i.e., Spain's Pelecanimimus), the Arctometatarsalia
are less provincial than previously thought.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland