Re: Bullatosauria, Arctometatarsalia

On Thu, 10 Aug 1995 Stang1996@aol.com wrote:

> Please tell me what Bullatosauria and Arctometatarsalia include.  I'm
> confused.
>
> Peter Buchholz
> Stang1996@aol.com

I hope Tom Holtz doesn't mind me jumping in here (these taxa are his
inventions). The Arctometatarsalia are a group of coelurosaurians that
have a  middle metatarsal (homologous with the third metatarsal of
primitive amniotes) that is "pinched" at it's upper end. It includes
Tyrranosauridae, Avimimus, Elmisauridae (whatever that is - thats another
story), Troodontidae and Ornithomimosauria. The Bullatosauria is a more
exclusive clade within the Arctometatarsalia that icludes the
Troodontidae and the Ornithomimosauria. These two are linked together
largely on the basis of their swollen parasphenoids.

Adam Yates