Re: kibbles and bits

>Similarly, the tail of a hadrosaur mounted at the Denver Museum of
>Natural History has healed injuries which even Jack Horner apparently
>admits are most probably the result of an attack from a Tyrannosaurus.
>Since dead animals don't heal, it seems that we have strong evidence
>that Tyrannosaurs hunted live prey...

Most predators are opportunists. If a meal comes along, they aren't going to
say "not quite ripe, no thanks". It is quite possible for an animal which is
generally a scavenger to come upon an old/young/weak/sick/injured animal
which has become seperated from the herd. In this case they won't generally
wait for it to die of its own free will...

Equally, it an active predator comes across a "free lunch", an already dead
animal, it won't generally turn it down.

There are, of course, exceptions. I think chettahs won't touch anything but
a fresh kill, for example.

James Shields