Creationism in schools

    First let me appologise for letting this thread go on even longer.
    I think that the entire idea of it's perfectly fine to have creationism
 in schools is inane.  Maybe most of you have been out of school too
long to remember high-school biology, which for most is the last
science class that people will ever take.  Take it from me, someone
in high-school, creationism is NOT the last message you want
people to take out of high-school science.  We all know that it has no
scientific validity, but many people of course won't believe the facts.
They would rather have a theology in their science class than
science because they are afraid that it might shake their children's
world view, and God forbid, cause them to think for themselves.  I
think George Olshevsky hit the nail on the head when he said that it's
not about science, but political power.
    Just picture my biology class last year durring the teaching of
evolution.  The first day, my teacher said that he couldn't teach it as
fact because he might get sued.  He also said that all other theories
were non-scientific.  Another day, members of Overlake Christian
Church (Just picture Jim Bakker in the suburbs of Seattle) started
ranting Bible quotes about the "creation" and how Mr, Peeples (the
teacher) would go to hell if he wouldn't accept it.  He countered that
by showing an episode of "Cosmos" (Carl Sagan) which Sagan
recounts the history of life on Earth.  He tells the story of how these
strange crabs in Japan got what looks like a face on their shells.  He
"accidentally" left the TV on past what he was "supposed" to show
while he was in the other room.  Sagan was pounding creationists
saying that they were ignorant and such.  If this was not so very
important, the events of the week that they taught about evolution
would seem almost comical.  These people already have their minds
made up and their childrens' for them.  We cannot acknowledge that
we approve of their brainwashing and lies by letting creationism into
public schools.  If we do that, then we should teach lessons in
astrology durring the astronomy classes, have "flat-Earth-theory" as
an alternate to planetary sciences durring the Earth science classes.
 You know that would be wrong and a waste of time.  The creationist
would probably complain that we would be teaching their kids B.S.  I
guess you have to have half of your best friends be creationists to
really understand the frustration surrounding this issue because you
want so mush to have your friends not be scientificly ignorant and
viewed as idiots.

Peter Buchholz
Stang1996@aol.com