Re: pronunciation of pteryx and other forms of pt

>What's the correct Latin pronunciation of _Aha_ and _Ohno_? Of _Tsagantegia_?
>Of _Kogia_? Correct pronunciation is less important than correct spelling,
>which derives from publication--a key scientific event. People who speak
>different native languages can be expected to pronounce scientific names
>differently, following the conventions and peculiarities of their native
>languages. The phenomenon reminds me of the irritating Latino newscasters who
>break into a Spanish accent in mid-sentence to pronounce a single Spanish
>word, then finish the sentence in accent-free newscaster English.
>
>And who REALLY knows how words were pronounced in the Latin of ancient Rome,
>anyway? I'd like to hear any voice recordings that survived from that era.
>
>George O.

Bravo George!

English, and the American variant of it, are classic creoles; a dumping
ground and mishmash of other peoples languages that have subsequently been
tortured further by an array of accents. No wonder we can't pronounce words
consistently! Witness the endings of Arkansas and Kansas. And spelling is
even more inconsistent, as George Bernard Shaw pointed out FISH can be
spelt GHOTI (GH as in enough, O as in women and TI as in nation). Hell, we
can't even agree on "tomato" let alone "Pteranodon"! And who is left to
arbitrate on Latin and Greek pronunciations anyway? While the roots may
have been specific, we use them only as lables for dead animals. I am sure
that Ceaser wouldn't turn in his grave regardless of how many silent Gs,
unpronouncible Ps or conflicting Ks we care to abuse. It is really little
more than pedantry.

Still, it all depends on the schedule of your school.

Cheers, Paul

pwillis@ozemail.com.au