dinosaur science

before, rarely in so reasonable a manner.  **Why not teach creation
science alongside evolutionary science in the classroom - any
semi-intelligent person will choose evolution?**  If Tom had asked this
question on the Talk Origins Usenet (where it belongs), he would have
been bombarded with irrational replies both pro and con to his
suggestion.  That is the nature of this particular question.  While
seeming so reasonable, it actually covers a wide range of underlying
questions about the nature of science and our individual world views.
  Most of the people in the scientific community consider the
historical sciences (paleontology, archeology, astronomy,etc) to be
dealing with testable hypothoses that are always open to revision.
Ninty percent of the material presented as **creation science** does
not fall under this catagory, as the ideas presented can almost never
be tested.  While testability or falsifiability alone can never be the
sole criteria for accepting or rejecting an idea, they do provide
strong guidelines. (no, I'm not opening up the arguement on
falsifiability again, these are my personal opinions only.)

As for Tom's hope that any intelligent person would choose evolutionary
theory over creation science, I fear that he does not realise the poor
level of science awareness among the general public.  I know many
people who believe creation science to be true, who are also highly
skectical of all scientific concepts.  Their ideas are based on
theology, not science and no amount of rational arguement will change
their minds. That is their perogative.  A recent poll indicated that
about 40 percent of the population of the U.S. believes in some kind of
creation, rather than in a mechanistic evolutionary origin to life.  I
am very concerned that presenting creation in pseudo-scientific jargon
will only further erode the ability of the general public to make
critical judgments between what may appear to be two equally valid
ideas.

If anyone would like to discuss this topic further with me, please
e-mail me so that we do not clutter the list too much.

            respectfully,
              Virginia Tidwell