Re: pronunciation of pteryx and other forms of pt

At 10:01 AM 8/5/95 -0400, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

>And who REALLY knows how words were pronounced in the Latin of ancient
Rome, anyway?

Gee, George,

        My late Latin teacher, dear old Miss Parton (Frederick High School,
Frederick, Maryland) , had me throughly convinced that she'd sat at Caesar's
feet while he dictated his memoirs. That was before she entered a convent,
of course.
        (My German instructor later convinced me that she'd been a devoted
follower of Werherner von Braun.)

-= Tuck =-