identification

Hello to all you experts, rom one of the highly read but truely amature
status.  We get a lot of names thrown at us which there is now way except by
extended research we can find out what you are talking about. There might be
a couple things that could help with little effort from the professionals.
 For one, with a few exceptions such as T rex., we (amatures) don't know the
species/genus name because there is no logic for most of those names.  We do
usually know something at the family level which there is a logical basis for
the names.  If the family or some other nickname could be given we would be
really apprecitive.  You meight be able to think of other easy things that
might help us progress more smoothly through this really interesting dialog.

many thanks
paul