Re: pronunciation of pteryx and other forms of pt

In a message dated 95-08-05 08:18:11 EDT, Moody@mail.oucom.ohiou.edu (Moody,
Scott) writes:

>Yes, Phil Currie is correct and the p of pteryx in any combination with
>other words in forming a taxonomic name should NOT be pronounced.  As we
>increasingly become an international community of scholars one needs to be
>aware of the correct pronunciation of other languages, in this case, Latin.
>  Americans ignorantly butcher the latin pronunciation of anatomical and
>taxonomic names.   Many of you who have traveled to european scientific
>meetings (as I have many times)  will recall the quizzical expressions on
>faces of colleagues as you mispronounced names.   Many taxonomic books have
>an appendix on how to pronounce correctly the latinized scientific names.

What's the correct Latin pronunciation of _Aha_ and _Ohno_? Of _Tsagantegia_?
Of _Kogia_? Correct pronunciation is less important than correct spelling,
which derives from publication--a key scientific event. People who speak
different native languages can be expected to pronounce scientific names
differently, following the conventions and peculiarities of their native
languages. The phenomenon reminds me of the irritating Latino newscasters who
break into a Spanish accent in mid-sentence to pronounce a single Spanish
word, then finish the sentence in accent-free newscaster English.

And who REALLY knows how words were pronounced in the Latin of ancient Rome,
anyway? I'd like to hear any voice recordings that survived from that era.

George O.