Re: Pronunciation of PT

In a message dated 95-08-05 05:52:57 EDT, bk090@freenet.carleton.ca (David
Brez Carlisle) writes:

>I'm glad to notice that someone besides me pronounces the p at the
>beginning of Pterosaur.  I thought I was the only one.  I also
>pronounce the g in Gnathostome.

I've always found "silent letters" in words irritating. A silent letter,
hanging around solely as a vestige of a word's etymology, is best dropped, if
only to save keystrokes. Either that, or it should stand proudly with the
other letters and be pronounced. In the "olde" days, even the now silent "e"
at the end of some words was pronounced.

Archaic George