Re: Cyberbeings

>Regarding the next evolutionary stage of life on earth (cyberbeings):
>
>One interesting characteristic of cyberbeings would have to be MODULARITY. A
>typical cyberbeing might consist of a "personality module," wherein would
>reside the mental faculties. It might resemble a black box with lots of
>interfaces for inputs. Attaching to the personality module (but not
>necessarily all at once) would be a huge number of different kinds of
>"interaction modules": a walker or wheeled vehicle for ordinary surface
>transportation, an aircraft for flight, a spacecraft for interplanetary
>travel, and so forth. The personality module would "wear" any of the
>interaction modules as naturally and intimately as we experience our own
>bodies. Other detachable modules might include sensors for various
>wavelengths in the electromagnetic spectrum, allowing the personality module
>to experience "vision" in all frequencies from radio to gamma radiation; and
>interfaces to factories, mining equipment, and any of the other "job-related"
>facilities required to keep the cyber-civilization running.
>
>Naturally, the interfaces could also be used for communication between
>personality modules. Indeed, at electronic speeds, it would not be long
>before all the cyberbeings melded into a single, solar-system-wide
>super-cyberbeing, each individual personality module having access to the
>experiences of all the other personality modules. Over time, subject to no
>internal limits or constraints, such a super-cyberbeing would consume the
>entire substance of its home planet, converting it endlessly into more
>personality modules. Essentially immortal and with limitless patience, the
>super-cyberbeing would then spread itself outward into the rest of the galaxy
>and eventually the rest of the universe, using the energy generated by stars
>to power itself for quadrillions of years into the future.
>
>Wotta life!

Wotta a load of bollocks more like!

As long as we cling to future fantasies as solutions to current dilemmas,
we are doomed to our fate. What you describe might actually come true, but
it is for the future and does not address problems facing us now. This type
of fanciful daydreaming is little more than the modern equivelent of
fiddling while Rome burns.

Cheers, Paul

pwillis@ozemail.com.au