Mononykus

As a newcomer to the forum I'd like to know more about _Mononykus_.  (Or has
that argument come and gone preceding my signing on?)  I'm looking froward
especially to any new thoughts or observations not previously covered by the
AMNH guys. (Jump in Greg and George!)

I'd like to know:

What is the place of _Mononykus_ in theropoda, if not closer to living birds
than _Archaeopteryx_?

What was the use of the foreclaws?

I'm also interested in the persistence of large hemal arches in the tail, as
oposed to those in _Archaeopteryx_ which were clearly reduced.  Please
consider Gatesy's work on hind limb mechanics in theropods when you compose
your answer.

David Peters