Re: dino stride (was tucking)

At 11:47 AM 8/3/95, Considine, Blaise wrote:
>The talk of arm positioning caused me to wonder whether any tracks have
>been discovered indicating whether quadrupedal dinos ran like horses
>front legs, back legs or camels left or right.  Am I even remotely making
>sense here?

Blaise et al -

        That's a debate that has been little touched in the footprint
literature with which I'm familiar.  The trouble is:  both stride
mechanisms can leave virtually identical trackways!  Also, be aware that
the kinds of stride mechanisms used by various animals doesn't just fall at
the extremes (Alternating Sides (e.g., right front and left rear) vs. Same
Sides (e.g., right front and right rear) -- I've had discussions about, for
example, elephant movement (when contemplating sauropods) with other
people, and even watching the same animal move, we couldn't decide which of
the above two scenarios described the movement best!  In truth, it was
actually something between, with 3 legs in motion all at once!

        There is a now-out-of-print work by a Russian scientist (Sukhailov,
or somesuch) who did some interesting work on the gaits of animals; I
haven't read the book cover-to-cover, but I don't recall the work touching
on the resultant trackways.  Jim Farlow is an authoirty in the area --
maybe he can answer better than I can.

Jerry D. Harris
Schuler Museum of Paleontology
Southern Methodist University