Re: Dino Feathers

At 12:01 AM 8/3/95, GSP1954@aol.com wrote:
>The islands surrounding the Solhofen lagoons were very arid and lacked trees,
>only relatively distant mainlands had the latter. There are a number of
>German papers on this.

        Yes; but that wasn't my point.  The authors of the
_Solnhofen_volume say that (many of) the terrestrial fossils in the
Solnhofen limestones didn't live (solely) on the islands, since, as they
mention, all the insects in the limestones are woodland ones, as are some
of the plant specimens.  Thus, pictures which place _Archaeopteryx_ on the
relatively barren lagoonal islands may not be entirely correct.

Jerry D. Harris
Schuler Museum of Paleontology
Southern Methodist University
jdharris@lust.isem.smu.edu