Re: Dino Feathers

At 12:58 PM 8/2/95, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
>Most life restorations of _Archaeopteryx_ show the entire body covered with
>feathers, as in modern birds. Yet there is not a shred of evidence for
>extensive, all-over contour feathers in that genus. Strictly speaking, as far
>as the fossils are concerned, feathers in _Archaeopteryx_ were confined to
>the forelimbs and tail. Even modern birds retain scales on their hind legs
>and feet, so perhaps in _Archaeopteryx_ scales covered much more of the body
>than that.

        Agreed!  Although I keep hoping someone else will turn up a new,
all splayed-out specimen with feathers as wonderful as those on the Berlin
specimen, and we can answer the question of leg feathers on the animal once
and for all!  8-)  I'm not so positive about feathers around the back of
the head on _Archaeopteryx_, or even on the neck.  Maybe new specimens will
also add to the data on the possibility of hair on pterosaurs.

Jerry D. Harris
Schuler Museum of Paleontology
Southern Methodist University
jdharris@lust.isem.smu.edu