Re: THIS IS A DINOSAUR LIST!

>From: "D.W.Naish" <dwn194@soton.ac.uk>
 > PRONUNCIATION OF WORDS WITH 'PTERYX'
 >
 > EVERYONE pronounces _Archaeopteryx_, _Podopteryx_, _Patagopteryx_,
 > _Glossopteris_ etc etc WITH THE P. But, in 'The Flying Dinosaurs',
 > Phil Currie expresses the opinion that the p should be silent, as
 > it is in pterosaur. So we should all be saying 'ar-kee-o-teris'.
 > Thoughts?

Most scholars believe that in classical Greek the letters were all
pronounced.  Thus, the correct *Greek* pronunciation of "pterosaur"
would be 'p-ter-o-sour'.  However, this is almost impossible for an
English speaker to pronounce, so we drop the initial 'p' in this
case.

In teh other words you mention, the 'p' follows a vowel, so we *can*
pronounce it easily - so there is no good reason to drop it.

 > Did anyone ever sort out the 'Gorgosaur renaissance' problems (i.e. there
 > were
 > recent rumours that some albertosaur species were to be re-instated as
 > _Gorgosaurus_. I posted this question a while back, but don't know if
 > it was answered (due to mother-of-all file disasters mk 1).)

If I remember correctly, this re-instatement came from Bakker, the
father of all splitters.  I have never found it convincing.

The peace of God be with you.