  Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 07:01:12 -0400
  From: AnmlPeople@aol.com
  To: rowe@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu
  Subject: Where I've been

      Meanwhile,  for what it's worth,  capsule assessments of the major &
  minor dinosaur sites we've visited:

      *  Dinosaur National Monument is not nearly as fascinating for small
  children as I'd anticipated.  Wolf,  just short of five,  was through with it
  in half an hour.  I spent about an hour there myself.
      *  The private dinosaur museum near Medicine Bow (a small cabin made
  from fossils) is closed due to the illness of the owner.
      *  The town museum in Rock River is closed more often than it's open,
  but is quite good for a facility with zero resources.
      *  The University of Wyoming dinosaur museum in Laramie is a
  must-visit.  Wolf spent more than two hours there,  and could probably have
  spent another hour.  He kept making the circuit of the downstairs and then
  the upstairs,  first just looking,  then asking for explanations,  then
  asking questions,  and then,  on his fourth circuit,  lecturing adult
  visitors (quite accurately) about what they were seeing.  A woman who was
  apparently a museum staffer just stood back and let him go at it,  evidently
  quite amused and impressed.  (She seemed to relate better to him than to the
  other adults,  actually--seemed a bit shy with me.)
      *  The Rock Springs skeleton mounts are another must.  They kept Wolf
  occupied for an hour.  There are not all that many of them,  but he was
  particularly fascinated with the pleisiosaur,  and spent quite a while with
  the triceratops,  stegosaurus,  duckbill,  and t-rex,  too.
      *  Wolf's favorite of all the dinosaur museums was the one at Montana
  State University in Bozeman (the only one to charge admission).  He much
  enjoyed the lifesized exhibit of maisaura mothers with their nests,  and then
  discovered the animated triceratops with her babies.  With no adults anywhere
  near to expalin (I was observing from a distance,  and we were almost the
  only people in the museum),  he crept up carefully,  figured out that they
  were only animations,  started to touch them,  then backed away,  started
  again,  etcetra,  just as he does when becoming aquainted with a new living
  animal.  I finally walked up to explain that he wasn't supposed to touch the
  exhibits,  feeling like a killjoy.  After we'd looked at everything else,
   Wolf came back to the animations and watched them for the longest time,
   until we got kicked out because the place was closing for the night.

       Feel free to post the above observations if you think they'll be of
  use to anyone.  Meanwhile,  I must put my nose back to the grindstone.
   Absent but not disinterested,
  Merritt Clifton,  editor,  ANIMAL PEOPLE.