Euoplocephalus tutus recon question

     Hi,

     I suppose this would mostly be a question for Greg Paul, since the
     reconstruction that is making my head ache was done by him.

     Now I'm not saying it's bad, mind you, but it sure is wierd!

     If, as you suggest, in the latest Dinosaur Report (put out by the
     Dinosaur Society) the ankylosaurs were built kind of like giant mutant
     Basset hounds, what did the back legs look like?

     On this particular drawing you show the hips (back view) of the
     skeleton as being well extended PAST the point the femur comes up and
     joins the body at.

     Kind of like this:

              ____________________
             /         \/         \
            /----------------------\      BACK VIEW OF Euoplecephalus tutus
              *   | | \  / | |                    (after Paul)
               *  | |  \/  | |
                * | |      | |
                   ~        ~
                  | |      | |
                  | |      | |
                 ----      ----

     What I want to know is...Does the leg muscle that attaches the femur
     to the hips (the little stars) attach on the outside of this wierd
     shelf-hip, the edge of the hip, or on the underside of the shelf-hip?
     Is the femur dished in any way to support a huge muscle of that size,
     or are there special structural supports built into the hip to hold
     such a massive weight muscle?

     It is a very strange creature indeed, and I am very confused by it.

     Thanks!

     -Betty Cunningham

     (Flyinggoat@aol.com till the end of the month)
     (bcunning@nssi.com at work)