Drakes Equation

>My estimate of "quadrillions" for the number of stars "out there" was too
>small by many orders of magnitude. Given an average galaxy of 10**11 stars,
>times an equal number of galaxies in the visible universe, produces an
>estimate of 10**22, that is, about ten SEXTILLION, stars "out there."
>
>So we have a rock-bottom lower bound on the estimate of the chance that life
>will arise in any given stellar system as one in ten sextillion. I have the
>feeling that it is actually somewhat higher than that.

Engage Dino-cloak:

Dinosaur_________Theropod______________________Segnosaur_________________

There is an equation called Drake's Equation that came out in the 1970's or
early 80's (Astronomy Magazine) that attempts to estimate the number of
possible planets with intelligent life , in the kown universe I believe. It
is bsed in part on statistics and speculation but interestingly enough, the
result was rather high. If you or anyone is interested, and if I still have
it, I will post it _ directly _ to you since this is not dino related and the
ever watchful thought police may really come down on me this time since they
gave me a warning already , hence the cloaking device :-)

                                               Regards,
                                               Thomas R. Lipka
                                               Paleontological/Geological
Studies