Re: DINOSAUR EGGS!

Steve wrote this in his previous message on the eggs:

> The above is the full text of the article. I have no other information.

I have also seen the BC-US MSSapfr wire (whoever they are) on this and
 had to speak on BBC radio earlier this morning about the discovery.  Most
 of what I had to say was pure speculation, but luckily I knew of this before
 as someone had posted messages relating to this discovery sometime last
week.

Neil

WED Aug 30 22:01 1995

BC-US-Dinosaur Eggs, HFR, 0218

Dinosaur Nesting site has remains of 300,000 eggs, study estimates.

Eds: for release at 2200 GMT

New York (AP _ Dinosaurs repeatedly nested at an ancient seashore in
what is now northeastern Spain, leaving the remains of perhaps
300,000 eggs, scientists say.

Egg sites in the area represent the first firm evidence for dinosaur
egg nesting at a sea shore, researchers from Spain and France write
in Thursday's issue of the journal NATURE.

Some complete eggs measure about eight inches (20 centimeters)
across, they said.  The eggs date from the last days of the
dinosaurs, the Upper Cretaceous Period, which lasted from 73 million
to 65 million years ago.

One outcrop contains 24 nests, arranged in three clusters over an
area of about 7,000 suare yards (5,900 square meters).  Each nest has
one to seven eggs.

The researchers sampled several areas of sandstone near Lleida and
estimated that the entire sandstone deposit contains remains of some
300,000 eggs.

"It really is an impressive number," commented Mark Norell, associate
curator of vertebrate paleontology at the American Museum of Natural
History in New York.

Further study of the bones may reveal what kind of dinosaurs did the
nesting, he said.

302059 AUG GMT

End.