Re: Removing segnosaurs from ...

Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu
<<Take a look at the feet of Herrerasaurus sometime.  And, while
you're at it, the feet of basal lineages within the Ornithischia.  Now,
see what the probable foot of the ancestral dinosaur looked like.
That's right, Digits I-IV as functional toes, digit V already reduced.
For a little outgroup analysis, try the feet of basal pterosaurs and
other ornithodirans.>>

    Once again call to "The Dinosauria".  Figures 4-2 B, 15-8 G~L, 15-7 P,
and 18-2 G; Depicting the pedes of _Herrerasaurus_,
_Anchisaurus_, _Sellosaurus_, _Yunnanosaurus_, _Blikanosaurus_,
_Riojasaurus_, _Plateosaurus_, and _Segnosaurus_ respectively.
As can be seen, the pes of _Herrerasaurus_ bears a long and fairly
robust metatarsal V with a fairly large phalange; while the pedes of
the various prosauropods and of _Segnosaurus_ bear medium length
to short metatarsal V with a very small or non-existant phalange.
The pes of _Segnosaurus_ is most similar to the pedes in
_Anchisaurus_, _Sellosaurus_, and _Riojasaurus_.  Taking your
advice Dr. Holtz, you have proven to me once again that Segnosaurs
are not theropods or Herrerasaurs because their feet most resemble
the feet of prosauropods.
    While we're at it, _Segnosaurus'_ pes also strongly resembles
_Scelidosaurus'_ (fig. 20-3 C), while neither one bears a closer resemblance
to _Herrerasaurus_ than they do to each other.
    Basal Pterosaurs have five fully developed digits as do Brontosaurians.

Peter Buchholz
Stang1996@aol.com

-Boycot Taco Bell's "Texas Tacos" and "Border Light" menu items.
-Suport the abolition of the $1.00 bill in the United States in favor of a
 $2.00 bill and $1.00 coin.