Re: Removing segnosaurs from ...

In a message dated 95-08-30 23:23:27 EDT, Stang1996@aol.com writes:

>On an aside, when did we start spelling Erlikosaurus with a "c"?

We should never have. The poor thing was (unintentionally?) described twice
by the same author (Perle). In the earlier description (within a 1980 paper
by Barsbold and himself) he spelled the name _Erlikosaurus_, in the later (a
standalone paper in 1981) _Erlicosaurus_. The "k" spelling has priority. Here
is the entry from _Mesozoic Meanderings_ #2:

Genus: Erlikosaurus Perle vide Barsbold & Perle, 1980
  = Erlicosaurus Perle, 1981 [sic]
  E. andrewsi Perle, 1980 (Type)
    = Erlicosaurus andrewsi Perle, 1981 [sic]

(I replaced the little dagger with (Type) to avoid transmission problems to
El Segundo.)

G.O.