  Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 13:18:12 -0400
  From: Dinogeorge@aol.com
  To: swf@elsegundoca.attgis.com, dinosaur@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu
  Subject: Re: Retaining Thecodontia as a good name

  In a message dated 95-08-30 12:24:27 EDT, swf@ElSegundoCA.ATTGIS.COM
  (Stan Friesen) writes:

  > By the way, Dr Olshevsky, did you intend to include the
  > crocodilians in the thecodonts, as your definition implied?

  Absolutely. Crocodylia is one of about a half-dozen orders within
  Thecodontia; extant crocodylians may be viewed as the only surviving
  thecodontians. Incidentally, if you want to make Thecodontia a
  monophyletic subclade of Archosauria, you can simply remove a few
  basal groups from the paraphyletic Thecodontia I described. Then it
  becomes essentially congruent to Crocodylotarsi--and has historical
  priority, too.

  The real historically mishmashed group is not so much Thecodontia as
  Pseudosuchia.

  G.O.