Re: Removing segnosaurs from ...

In a message dated 95-08-30 11:51:42 EDT, Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
writes:

>It might.  Of course, only a thorough phylogenetic analysis incorporating
>the published characters, with some changes and additions, including many
>different taxa, would be able to resolve this.  Of course, who would ever be
>bothered to do that. :-)

Certainly not me...!

>And, while we're at it, from what condition did
>the sauropod pes evolve?

The pentadactyl sauropod pes is primitive for Dinosauria. The prosauropod,
segnosaur, and ornithischian pedes derive FROM the sauropod pes by
progressive loss of phalanges of digit V and reduction of metatarsal V until
not even a splint remains. (PROsauropoda is a misnomer, by the way.) Likewise
the herrerasaur and theropod pedes, but independently.

G.O.