Re: Interdental plates

In a message dated 95-08-30 08:15:36 EDT, tuckr@digital.net (Robert G. Tuck
Jr.) writes:

>At 03:46 PM 8/29/95 -0400, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
>
>>They're little bony separators situated down between the teeth on the
medial
>>(lingual) side--the inside--of the jaws. You can see them fairly clearly in
>>Figure 6.29A (p. 204) of _The Dinosauria_.
>
>OK, I'll bite (sorry!). Does anybody have a(n) hypothesis regarding their
>function?

I'm no functional anatomist, but they may have helped to immobilize the teeth
in the jaws during feeding and/or guide replacement teeth into their proper
sockets. Perhaps they also helped protect whatever passed for gums and other
oral soft tissues (blood vessels, nerves, etc.) that nourished the teeth. Any
other takers?

G.O.