Re: ACRETE, Syrmosaurus,

In a message dated 95-08-28 21:32:36 EDT, DAVEH47@delphi.com writes:

>In regard to dinosaurs ( Remember them?  Dinosaurs--fairly popular group
>of prehistoric animals? :) ), I was wondering if anyone knew anything about
>the ankylosaur genus _Syrmosaurus_?  I've always been intersted by this one
>because it supposedly had a flattened tail end (an "ax" rather than a
>"club").
>But I've haven't heard anything about this genus for a long time...is it
>bogus?

Not bogus, but a junior synonym of _Pinacosaurus_, as shown by Teresa
Maryanska and/or Halszka Osmolska way back in the late 1970s. (I can look up
the exact reference if you need it.) The type species, _Syrmosaurus
viminocaudus_, is a junior synonym of _Pinacosaurus grangeri_; the other
species, _Syrmosaurus disparoserratus_, is now the type species of the genus
_Maleevus_.

G.O.