Re: Meglania weighed only 1 tonne (long)

In a message dated 95-12-07 10:58:06 EST, pwillis@ozemail.com.au (Paul
Willis) writes:

>One suggestion is
>that, because Australia has particularly poor soils (themselves a
>consequence of lack of recent orogenies and no glacial action during the
>later Tertiary and Quaternary), Australia can only support a sparce
>population of herbivores that can not be effectively exploited by
>high-energy, large mammalian carnivores (our largest mammalian carnivore in
>the Plio-Pleistocene was Thylacoleo, the Marsupial Lion, and that was
>probably around 60-90 kg). Lower-energy ectothermic carnivores, such as the
>terrestrial croc Quinkana, the giant goanna Megalania and the giant
>madstoiid snake Wonambi could exploit this resource.

Turned around--and in the absence of asteroid impacts--this might have some
bearing on the extinction-replacement cycles that can be observed among
successive dynasties of large Mesozoic theropods.