Re: More Holtz on the origin of birds

In a message dated 95-12-07 12:10:26 EST, Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
writes:

>Unciates.  They may have been cartilaginous in Archaeopteryx.  Stiffening
>the rib cage, as you say, would be useful for grasping predators as well as
>for fliers.

Uncinates. There's no evidence for uncinate processes in any specimen of
_Archaeopteryx_, not even little irregular spots where cartilaginous ones
might have by located. People have been over those specimens with powerful
equipment looking for stuff like that. Haven't I heard of uncinate processes
in some armored ornithischian recently?