Re: More Bird origins: ignore if you wish...

In a message dated 95-12-07 10:06:27 EST, Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
writes:

>Archaeopteryx occurs earlier than any other confirmed birds, it possess a
>few derived features shared with later birds but lacking in other theropods,
>and lacks any derived features of its own.

The detailed shape of the ischium of _Archaeopteryx_, while close to that of
dromaeosaurids, is really autapomorphic. I think the absence of hollow limb
bones, if confirmed (and who's going to let someone section an Archy limb
bone?), would be another autapomorphy. But one really has to reach for these.