Re: Exaptation

On Thu, 7 Dec 1995 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> Regarding secondarily flightless pterosaurs and bats: it's entirely possible
> that they existed but haven't yet been found. I've heard intriguing rumors,
> but nothing concrete yet. Meanwhile, you might want to give some thought to
> how you might identify a flightless pterosaur in the fossil record.

        Nothing on pterosaurs. But New Zealand had a species of small,
flightless bat. Pterosaurs would have been most likely to become
flightless on islands, in the absence of predators, competitors and where
flying might just land you in a lot of trouble (i.e. the ocean). If
ecology worked anything like it does now back in the Mesozoic, pterosaurs
must commonly have become flightless on offshore islands. But then, the
odds of actually finding fossils of such things if they did exist is
 about nil.
        nick L.