Compsognathus arms

>It is not hard to see something not too different from Compsognathus
>clambering about in trees, or bushes, using its arms to assist in
>climbing. In fact, I do not see why Compsognathus itself couldn't have
>been arboreal, except for the putative lack of trees in the Solnhofen
>area at the time.

Compy arms are VERY short.  The number of fingers on them is in dispute
(Gauthier suspects 4, Ostrom says 2, I'd put [a small amount of] money on
3), as is most of the hand structure.  However, it does look like
Compsognathus lacks the forelimb structure common to Ornitholetes,
troodontids, dromaeosaurids, basal birds, etc.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland