Archie bones

>> In the forelimb (various modifications for a wing), in the foot (retroverted
>> hallux), in the skeleton (pneumatization), and probably in the soft anatomy
>> as well. Not to mention a number of less important but noteworthy cranial
>> modifications, and flight feathers.
>
>     I thought that Archaeopteryx bones did not appear to be pneumatized,
>but were solid structures.

Despite the statement about solid bones in Archaeopteryx showing up again
and again in ornithology texts (and creationist tracts!), there is no
evidence that the bones of Archie are solid.  No one is going to let me prep
open the bones to prove this, but by phylogenetic inference (in either BAAM
or BCF!), the bones of Archaeopteryx are expected to be hollow.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland