Re: BADD BCF

On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, Jeffrey Martz wrote:
>        Is Cope's Rule the one that says big animals generally eveolve
> from small ones, not the other way around?  I beleive that one of the
> exceptions to this rule has to do with dwarfism in animals that become
> genetically isolated on islands.  A nice example is the kiwi, a tiny
> ratite that is supposed to have evolved from a larger ancestor, as
> suggested by its humungous egg.
        The idea that kiwis are descended from Moas or shared a close
common ancestor with them was recently disproven. There was a
Scientific American article that put them closer to somebody like the
emus or rheas, I forget which. But the point about islands is well taken-
it happened a couple times with the mammoths, once with elephants in the
Mediterranean (elephas falconeri, I think) I think the Shetland ponies,
etc.

        -Nick L.