Re: flights of fancy (or "I'm brave, but I'm chicken****")

In a message dated 95-12-06 13:41:12 EST, rowe@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu
(Mickey Rowe) writes:

>Because _Archaeopteryx_ and _Deinonychus_ share their forelimb
>structure, it is clear that between the two of them said structure is
>plesiomorphic.

Sorry. This forelimb structure is plesiomorphic because it also appears in
close outgroups of the two genera. In the sentence _as it stands_, the
forelimb structure could also be synapomorphic, rather than plesiomorphic.
(Recall my definition of an apomorphy, which you tried to bring down because
you considered it equally imprecise.)