Kiwis

>>        Is Cope's Rule the one that says big animals generally eveolve
>> from small ones, not the other way around?  I beleive that one of the
>> exceptions to this rule has to do with dwarfism in animals that become
>> genetically isolated on islands.  A nice example is the kiwi, a tiny
>> ratite that is supposed to have evolved from a larger ancestor, as
>> suggested by its humungous egg.

Stephen J. Gould wrote an essay about this.  But hasn't New Zealand been
separated from all other land masses for an awful long time?  If so, I
assume that the ancestors of NZ birds would have to have flown there
originally.  Why would the kiwi have a big egg if its big ancestors had
small ancestors?

--
Jim Foley                         Symbios Logic, Fort Collins, CO
Jim.Foley@symbios.com                        (303) 223-5100 x9765