Re: PTEROSAUR MUNCHING

On Wed, 6 Dec 1995 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 95-12-06 07:28:37 EST, dwn194@soton.ac.uk (D.W.Naish)
> writes:
>
> >Terrestrial hunting of pterosaurs is also hypothesised, and analogies such
> as
> >caracal are used for terrestrial hunting, big gulls and false vampires for
> >aerial. There are numerous ifs, buts and so on, but the speculation is
> >interesting. Shall I post it?
>
> Let us not forget the recent report (Currie and someone else--reference isn't
> handy) of an azhdarchid bone from Alberta with a _Saurornitholestes_ tooth
> still stuck in it.
        Azhdarchids being Quetzalcoatlus and kin?
        Is there any evidence of predatory pterosaurs? One would think
that there could have been some specialized hawklike forms, or if nothing
else, a modified marine pterosaur with pointy teeth and big claws (like
the Skua is a predatory gull). Maybe we just haven't looked at the
present fossils correctly, and there is a predator in there...