Re: rarity of bird fossils

>From: Dinogeorge@aol.com
 >
 > I'd make it more like one in 10,000, at least for the Mesozoic. But then, I'm
 > a diversity fan.

I can't say that would surprise me, 1 in 100 was my lower limit.

Personally, I believe that by the end of the Cretaceous avian
diversity was approaching modern non-passerine diversity levels.

The problem, of course, is it is hard to argue from lack of data!
That we have but a small portion of avian diversity is clear, but
what the real diversity was is really hard to say with any certainty.

The peace of God be with you.