Re: THIS IS NOT WHAT I TOOK A PICTURE OF!!!!!!!!!!

In a message dated 95-12-05 20:45:14 EST, Stang1996@aol.com writes:

>>I have been puzzling over the very same thing myself, after having read
>>Dale's paper and also seen the very same specimen that you photographed.
You
>>might also ask why the mounted skeleton of _Alxasaurus_ on the same tour
>>looks so different from the type specimen, in those areas which they have
in
>>common.
>
>Quite so.  One of the most obvious (and easy to point out) *discrepencies*
is
>the extreme shortness of the mount's thumb; in my opinion, attempting to
make
>it look more theropodan than it really was.

Absolutely. I'm glad to see someone else noticed this besides me. I believe
the actual measurements in the paper are correct, because if you add together
the lengths of the appropriate phalanges and metacarpals of the manus, you'll
see the first digit is quite as long as the second.