Coelurians

On 12-02-95, Peter Buchholz (Stang1996@aol.com) wrote:

".... In my opinion, it is highly probable that there were quite a few
Coelurians (I will NOT say Coelurosaurians, especially sinse Coelurians
is
more correct)...."

Every time I see "Coelurians" used this way, it confuses me.  As of 1990
(when _The Dinosauria_ was published), David Norman regarded _Coelurus_
as a valid genus, represented by _Coelurus fragilis_, and grouped with
"problematical coelurosaurs."  So when you say "coelurian," it sounds
like you're referring to a problematical coelurosaurian named _Coelurus_,
or something like it.

Has the status of _Coelurus_ changed recently?  Are people really
starting to call coelurosaurians "coelurians?"

Norman R. King                                   tel:  (812) 464-1794
Department of Geosciences                        fax:  (812) 464-1960
University of Southern Indiana
8600 University Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47712                  e-mail:  nking.ucs@smtp.usi.edu

lorman R. King                                   tel:  (812) 464-1794