Re: climbing t.rex

In a message dated 95-12-05 11:33:27 EST, martz@holly.ColoState.EDU (Jeffrey
Martz) writes:

>     I thought that there was Albertoaurus and Tarbosaurus juvinile
>material.  The Tarbosaurus juvinile may have turned out to be
>Maleevosaurus, but I thought I overheard Phil Currie talking about
>known juvinile Albertosaurus material and how the long legs were probably
>for outrunning adults.  I beleive he was suggesting this as possible
>evidende for tyrannosaur predation.  Also, Norman's Encyclopodia of
>dinosaurs has a juvinile reconstruction with super long legs.

These all stem from Dale Russell's 1970 hypothetical long-legged juvenile
tyrannosaurid reconstruction. The really young Tarbosaurus or Jenghizkhan
juvenile (probably Tarbosaurus, because it has a very wide frontal notch in
the upper rim of the orbit) has never been described, and I've seen only one
photo of it, in a Japanese exhibition guidebook. More input is desperately
needed.

Maleevosaurus was considered a half-grown Tarbosaurus by Rozhdestvensky
(before it was separated out as Maleevosaurus), but Ken Carpenter showed that
this was unlikely.