Re: A BIT MORE ON DIATRYMA??

In a message dated 95-12-05 10:28:16 EST, ornstn@inforamp.net (Ronald
Orenstein) writes:

>Probably for the same reason we spell "fon hoch" as "Van Gogh", "keehotay"
>as "Quixote", or "chumley" as "Cholmondely".

These are supposed to be good counterexamples to my thesis? I would in each
case advocate Anglo-spelling those words in almost exactly the way you have.
And you should see what I would do to French. (Parley-voo Frawnsay?)

At least the parent languages all use the Roman alphabet, so there is the
excuse that respelling the words to be more correctly pronounceable would be
unnecessarily burdensome. But Malagasy?

Anyway--this IS getting off dinos, isn't it?