Re: bcf vs. badd

In a message dated 95-12-05 10:17:15 EST, ornstn@inforamp.net (Ronald
Orenstein) writes:

>Mesozoic toothed birds aren't proto-avians, they are birds.  As they
>postdate Archaeopteryx both temporally and, in all probability,
>phylogenetically, they don't say much about the condition of the teeth in
>bird ancestors.  Was the Archaeopteryx tooth primitive in this lineage, or
>secondarily simplified by loss of serrations?  The condition in birds like
>Hesperornis doesn't answer this.

I can live with unserrated or serrated teeth in proto-birds. But the very
small theropod _Compsognathus_ had unserrated teeth, as did
_Archaeornithoides_. There's not much room for serrations on teeth that are
that small. I think the smallest serrated theropod teeth might be those of
the troodontid _Koparion_ from the Morrison Formation. Anyone else out there
know of smaller ones?