Re: Archie the Dinosaur?

In a message dated 95-12-05 08:58:12 EST, Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
writes:

>On the other hand, Gauthier listed several derived character states present
>in basal sauropodomorphs and in theropods which are not found in
>Ornithischia.  Thus, Saurischia is provisionally supported (as much as any
>clade can be) until such time that a new analysis disputes it.

I recall digging into this a bit a couple of years ago and drawing a blank.
Gauthier's supposed synapomorphies evaporated upon close scrutiny: either
they were too vague, they didn't exist, they were plesiomorphies, or they did
exist in Ornithischia after all. I'll have to go back over this again before
commenting further, however.

The situation was much like the present segnosaurs-as-theropods situation.