Re: A BIT MORE ON DIATRYMA??

In a message dated 95-12-04 23:32:31 EST, ornstn@inforamp.net (Ronald
Orenstein) writes:

>Well, without having been to Madagascar (alas!), my unerstanding is that the
>name (which imitates the animal's call) is, like many Malagasy words,
>pronounced by dropping the final "a", pronouncing the initial s as "sh" and
>pronouncing the second syllable quite broadly, as in "walk", or "clock", or
>"duck", or something like that.

I know that English is supposed to be a great linguistic melting-pot, but how
the devil are we supposed to know how to pronounce a Malagasy word unless it
is spelled in some way that an English-speaking person would have a ghost of
a chance of pronouncing correctly? That is, why the devil spell it "sifaka"
rather than "shfuck"?? This is really stretching cosmopolitanism, as far as
I'm concerned. "Ghoti," my fat butt.