BCF vs BADD

Dr.Ronald Orenstein writes in a recent post:
>   Maybe - but I do not think they are required for a bird already large and
>   fast-running.  Without direct evidence I will assume that these birds
>   evolved in areas with predators, but that their loss of flight aided
>   predator avoidance by permitting the evolution of larger size.

I am not seeking to be critical, but I wonder if a bird has the time
(evolutionary speaking) to evolve into a larger size and not be so heavily
preyed  upon; while evolving, that the population cannot sustain itself. Is
not one of Dr. Gould's hypotheses in his theory of "puncuative equilibrium"
(my spelling will get me on this one),  that isolated populations are more
likely to evolve into new species?  It would seem to me that a likely
scenario would be an isolated population that is being selected for increased
size to take advantage of new prey resources at a time that they have no
predators themselves.

Dr. Thomas R. Dix                              Hm# 770-941-4708
                                  Wk# 770-732-8374
                                                              Fax#
770-732-8374   *51
trdix@aol.com

Im just thankful for the opportunity to be here