Re: Mongolian dinosaur exhibit

In a message dated 95-12-04 14:56:59 EST, swf@ElSegundoCA.ATTGIS.COM (Stan
Friesen) writes:

>From: PESELYG@LYNX.APSU.EDU
> >
> > Nuerosaurus chaganensis (rendered "Qagan Nur Lizard" and described
> > as the largest known Cretaceous dinosaur).

Except for _Argentinosaurus_, that is. The thing hasn't yet been described as
far as I know, so the spelling of the name is not settled. It first appeared
as _Nurosaurus qaganensis_ in Dong's 1992 book _Dinosaurian Faunas of China_,
and then some excellent photos of the mounted specimen in Hohhot were
published in _Dino-Frontline_ #1 labeled _Nuoerosaurus chaganensis_. Now it's
doing some touring under the name _Nuerosaurus chaganensis_. The mounted
skeleton is about 26 meters long, with a big body and a relatively short
neck. The skull is definitely fake.

>What group does Nuerosaurus belong to?
>(Sounds like it might be a sauropod, but if so, which family?)

Jack McIntosh has seen the skeleton on tour suggests it's some kind of
derived, short-necked (even though it has 17 vertebrae) euhelopodid sauropod,
but this is a very tentative identification pending publication of the formal
description. He had a hard time figuring out what was real bone and what was
cast/reconstruction; it's done quite well.

>While I am at it: what is the proper classification for Anasazisaurus?

Hadrosauridae -> Gryposaurinae (most likely)